Read, Write, Create & Win!
Fairtime is just around the corner, and that means it is almost time to start entering pre-fair contests. Prizes include Fair Passes, Carnival Tickets, and even cash. You will need to use your reading, writing and artistic skills to win. Some contests are just for kids, and others are open to all ages. Entry forms and details about these contests are available at the fairgrounds, all Sonoma County Libraries, and at www.SonomaCountyFair.com. Each entry must be the work of the contestant only -- no team entries. You may enter contests only once. The Sonoma County Fair will have rights to all original artwork; all entries will be displayed at the Fair. Entry Deadline: June 30
- Are these contests just for kids? Some are, but others are for all ages. Check the rules and get started!
- Where do I find the entry form? If you download a contest from this web page, it will include one entry form. If you need more entry forms, feel free to make copies (on white paper)
To get copies of the Fair FunBook, which includes all of the pre-fair contests, go to the fairgrounds or your local Childrens’ Library.
- What’s the deadline? Entries for all contests must be returned to the fairgrounds by June 30.
- Does everyone get a free Fair ticket? If you enter the Coloring Contest, you get a $5 discount on Fair admission. If you enter any of the other pre-fair contests, you get one ticket to the Fair. You also get a participant ribbon for each contest you enter. Tickets and ribbons will be mailed out after July 15.
- What if I win? Most contests offer Family Fair Passes (carnival tickets, fair admission and parking) as prizes. Sticker Contest winners get cash prizes.
- Why do I have to give my address and phone number? We need your address so we can send your ribbons and free ticket (and your prize if you win!). Your phone number and email address allow us to get in touch with you if there is a problem with your entry.
Unless the Contest Description says differently...
- This must be your original work. Don’t let anyone help you!
- No team entries.
- Entries will be divided into age categories before judging. In other words, grown-ups won’t be competing against kids.
- The Sonoma County Fair will have rights to all original artwork; all entries will be displayed at the Fair.
- Winning designs will be featured on the Sonoma County Fair website and Facebook page.
- Only one entry per person, per contest!
- If it isn’t the Coloring, Sticker or Reading & Riding Contest, tape an entry form to the back of your entry.
- Deliver or mail your entry by June 30 to: Sonoma County Fair: 1350 Bennett Valley Rd., Santa Rosa, CA 95404
Just for Kids
Reading & Riding
Sponsored by Butler Amusements
Who Can Enter? Kids in grades K to 6
Prizes: Earn Free Carnival Rides!
Butler Amusements offers 2 Free Carnival Rides to kids who read extra books between March 15 & June 15! Students in Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grades can read picture books. 3rd-6th must read chapter books. These should be extra books, not books assigned in class. To enter, read, and fill out the entry form. The Fair will send you a ribbon and two free carnival ride passes in July. You must use the official pre-fair contest entry form!
Sponsored by Santa Rosa Label Co.
Who Can Enter? Sonoma County Kids grades K to 6
Prizes: $100—1st $50—2nd $25—3rd (in two age groups)
On the entry form, design a 3” sticker that makes you think of the Fair and holidays. Draw with markers or colored pencils, using no more than 3 colors (black counts as one of the colors, but white doesn’t). You can include “Sonoma County Fair” or “Holidaze!”, but your entry shouldn’t look like the Fair logo. Santa Rosa Label will produce the 1st-place stickers. Winners will receive the first 100 stickers produced from their art; the rest will be given out at the Fair. You must use the official pre-fair contest entry form!
Tips for Sticker Creation:
The circle isn’t very big and you want people to be able to get your message from a distance.
- Keep it simple.
- Keep your words short.
- Don’t try to include too much.
- Make sure any lettering is clear.
It is okay to discuss it with other people, but the idea should be all yours. No help -- you do the drawing, lettering and thinking on your own!
Make sure you count the colors in your sticker before you send in your entry and make sure there are no more than three colors (including black). You can’t win if you use too many colors!
My Grandparents Are The Best
A Contest for Young Writers
Who Can Enter? Sonoma County Kids grades K to 6
Prizes: Family Fair Package – admission, carnival & parking!
Write an essay telling why you think your grandparents are great. You can tell about one or all of your grandparents. Write an essay explaining your choice. Use major league verbs, adverbs, adjectives--you want readers to understand what your grandparents are like. Follow up your opinion with examples from your experiences. Your entry should be written neatly (or printed) on 8 ½” x 11” paper, no more than two pages. Tape a Contest Entry Form* to your entry.
For All Ages
Winners will receive Family Fair Packages: Fair tickets, carnival tickets & parking; or Fair tickets. All contestants get ribbons & one free ticket to the Fair!
CREATE A GREETING CARD CONTEST
Create a holiday greeting card. It might be Christmas, Halloween, Hanukkah, Easter, Kwanza, Valentine’s Day, or any other holiday…you get to choose! Be original! Your entry must not look like a greeting card that has already been produced commercially. You can use crayons, paints, pencils or pens, but not stickers, computer graphics, tracing or photos - use your homegrown artistic talents! Your entry should be no larger than 8 ½” x 11” when unfolded, on paper only (not mounted). This contest is open to all ages. Remember - you will need to tape a Contest Entry Form* to your entry.
DESIGN A DECORATION
Many holidays call for decorations, and for this contest, you can make a decoration for any (one!) holiday. Your decoration should be 2-dimensional (flat), and made out of paper. It might be something you hang from a tree, or the ceiling, or even attach to the wall. Use crayons, paints, glitter, pencils or pens, but not stickers, computer graphics, tracing or photos - use your homegrown artistic talents! You can decorate one side, or both. Your entry should be no larger than 8 ½” x 11”, made out of paper (not mounted). Tape a Contest Entry Form* to entry.
MY FAVORITE HOLIDAY
A Contest for Writers of all ages
Everyone has a favorite holiday, and for this contest, you write an essay explaining why you prefer one holiday over all the rest. Use major league verbs, adverbs, adjectives--you want your readers to understand why you think that holiday is the best! Follow up your opinion with examples from your experiences. Do research and use your imagination. All entries must be printed or written on one or two pages of 8 1/2” x 11” paper. Leave the back of each page blank (except for your name). If you have more than one page, staple them together. This contest is open to all ages. Tape a Contest Entry Form* to your entry.
INVENT YOUR OWN HOLIDAY!
There are lots of holidays, from New Years to Easter to Independence Day and beyond. All of those holidays got their start somewhere, and now you have a chance to invent a new one! What do you think needs a celebration of its own? For this contest, you need to come up with a reason for a new holiday, a name for your holiday, and a mascot or representative. There’s Santa for Christmas (or maybe Rudolph?), the Easter Bunny, Cupid for Valentine’s Day, Father Time for New Year’s Eve. Who (or what!) will represent your holiday? To enter, answer the following questions:
- What is the NAME of your holiday?
- WHY should this be a holiday?
- WHAT MASCOT or representative will represent your holiday?
All entries must be printed or written on one page of 8 1/2” x 11” paper. Leave the back of the page blank. DO NOT put your name on the front of your entry. Tape a Contest Entry Form to the back of the page.
Who Can Enter? Everyone - All Ages
Prizes: Winners get Family Fair Packages – admission, carnival & parking passes; All Participants get a Ribbon & a $5 Fair Admission Discount
Use crayons, colored pencils or felt pens to color your own version of this year’s Fair logo. Use the Coloring Contest entry form!